This is my mother-in-law, Barbara Raccio's, recipe for Marinated Eggplant
- 8 Eggplants
- 8 Bell Peppers
- 2 Hot Cherry Peppers
- 10 Cups of White Vinegar
- 5 Cups of Water
- 1/2 Cup of Oregano
- 2 Bulbs of Garlic
- Approx. 3 Cups of Oil (1/2 Canola, 1/2 Olive Oil)
- 2 Coarsely Chopped Onions
- 1 Tablespoon Red Cayanne Pepper
- 1 Cup Lemon Juice
- Peel Eggplants and Rub with 1 Cup of the Lemon Juice
- Slice Lenth-wise and cut into strips. Slice 8 Bell Peppers, Chop 2 of the Hot Peppers and mix.
- Layer in Colander Salting after each layer and set an inverted plate over mixture with a weight on it and cover with a towel. Let drain in sink for about 8 hours.
- Rinse Eggplant and Peppers in cold water to remove salt.
- Add 10 cups of Vinegar and 5 Cups of Water in a large bowl and add the Eggplant and Peppers to the bowl. Soak overnight.
- Drain and Squeeze the Eggplant and Peppers (in a towel to remove water) and return to bowl.
- Add Chopped Garlic, Oregano, Onions, and Oil. Mix Well
- Pack in to Jars. Add additional oil to top Jars leaving 1/4 inch head space. Cap Tightly. Jars can be stored in a cooled basement, but once opened should be refrigerated.